Wednesday, May 4, 2011

There is a light in the eyes which shines brighter when a person connects intellectually or emotionally with an instructional concept. If the light is not there, then learning has not happened.  Only in moments of true understanding does the light grow and you can see it spread in the mind and heart of the learner.  This miracle of learning, this true connection is what interests me most about teaching.  I usually spend some time getting acquainted with the students, because I am a better teacher when I know what their motives and passions are. The students really appreciate it when I take the time to use a story, example, or analogy which aligns with their experience or ideas.

In the corporate environment, teaching and training adults takes on a bigger challenge.  Often adults feel that they have all of the knowledge and experience that they need to do their work and don't want to be bothered with having any more training or education.  Even if you find adults who are interested in learning more, they struggle to find the time to dedicate to a full regimen of study.  Thus, one of my key interests in using technology to teach adults is providing learning tools which are easily accessible at any time of day or night so that those who want to learn, can do it on their own time table.  As for those who don't necessarily want to learn more, I want to use technology to engage them and entice them into learning in such a way that they hardly realize that they just completed a formal module.  For example, if I can use technology to build interactive blog sites which are connected to computer-based learning modules that include some gaming/animation and other interactions, they may actually take 5-10 minutes and complete a training course.  They many even retain it longer because they participated in the experience, rather than listening to a lecture.  I also want to encorporate an assessment and measurement tool within the learning tools.  This way I can gather informaiton about how effective the learning tool is, compared to the learning objectives.  Technology can help keep the light burning in the eyes of the learners.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice job with your blog - it looks great!! Do you use blogs with your adult learners currently? I think you're right on with your statement about incorporating assessment; that's one of the big uses of technology that I'd like to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie. We don't currently use blogs at work, but in professional circles it is something you see a lot. For example the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD)uses a blog to keep its members up to speed on news and events. I find it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda! I really like your blog! I look forward to future blogs from you. I agree with what you said about the light you can see in someone's eyes when they understand; it is so true. You are a very good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog Amanda! I am slowly learning this, so if you get two different responses, let me know. Not sure what I am doing wrong here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your site. You are really good at this.

    ReplyDelete